Life in Pearl City
A wasteland, Pearl City is overridden with bandits, thugs, and criminals. With firefights and soldiers not an uncommon sight, Pearl City is a sad shell of its former self. Civilizations popped up here and there, including places like Breeze Town and Crane Town, to help people through it all. Most of these places, like the countless thousands of scrap towns found throughout the post-war United States, are owned by the CDF.
Early-day Pearl City, Honolulu, had an array of rice paddies and fields that were plowed with water buffalo that would haul a two-wheeled cart. In the early 1880s, Pearl City was the final stop for Benjamin Franklin Dillingham's Oahu Railway, a mud wagon driven by a four-horse team. Lots for an as-yet-to-exist "Pearl City" went on sale in 1889, after completion of the actual rail line. Near the outskirts of Pearl City, the Remond Grove, an area where people could be entertained with piano, banjo, trumpet, and saxophone performances, was a popular entertainment spot in the early 1900s.
The early 1900s started the headlining success of Hawaii's sugar production industry. But when World War II brought it to an end, plantations and factories that produced sugar were shut down, and people began looking for alternatives.
Pearl Harbor is located roughly 4 miles SE of Pearl City. On December 7th, 1941, Japanese forces bombed Pearl Harbor.
Before the war had ended in late 2032, Pearl Harbor had become a strong source of naval strength for the US military. The region of land at the end of the Middle Loch in Pearl Harbor, between the Farrington Highway and the Queen Liliuokalani Fairway had become a medium-sized military/industrial city between 2020-2032. The Leeward Community College had developed many new buildings for Naval Drone Specialization and Coast Guard Specialization.
This small portion of Pearl City was hit by 2 nuclear warheads. Both of them struck near the West. The portion of Pearl City near Leeward Community College and Masterson Shipyard remains in fairly good condition, untouched by bombs. A downside, though, is that the shipyard floods periodically and unpredictably, which leaves portions of the area covered entirely in eroded sand.
Since electricity is only supplied to machines that need it the most, electronic music and instruments have faded out of the norm ever since the start of the war. Music genres like Jazz, Swing, and Postmodern Jukebox have made a comeback into the hearts and souls of Americans the country over.
In 2101, the RCO started making contact with US forces. In 2103, the RCO landed in Hawaii as an expeditionary force. This is also when After The Flash: Rain takes place.
- Masterson Valley
- Masterson Valley is an area that was once filled with with water. It could fit up to 5 ships (3 in the maintenance bays) of the shipyard. When the war ended, the water was filtered out of the shipyard for reasons unknown. It has since grown into a lush, tropical environment, an interesting place within Honolulu. The area is also home to a facility dubbed 'Masterson Factory'. It produces clean water by using water filtration machines, fusion energy by using fusion cells and converters, and mechanisms by using 3D printers for any factions in need within the area. None of the supplies are free, but can be purchased for cheap prices.
- Main & Turndown St. Intersection
- A fairly dangerous area, it houses quite a few gangs, including the Sandsharks. They lurk around the area, watching for easy prey. Most of the accessible buildings are used for black market trading/shipment, such as the mall, the hotel, a few offices, and some restaurants. The area also includes the Clock Tower, a structure \taller than the surrounding buildings.
- Beach Overpass
- The Farrington Overpass is seen by most as a border (unofficially) between CDF and Sandshark territory. The area has a few war relics lying around, right were they were when the war ended 60 years ago. One of them is a Zumwalt-class Destroyer, dubbed the 'USS Erwin', another being a UR-22 that was shot down and crashed into a nearby office building, some automated turrets, and the final 4 being 2 humvees, a BTR, and a semi-truck holding a trailer that has missiles aimed toward the distance.
- Crane Town
- Like most scrap towns, the area is owned by the CDF. It is home to a large portion of the Masterson area population. It is more fortified than most towns, seeing as it has a thick wall on concrete surrounding it and 2 strong gates at either entrance. It has a network of tunnels under it, a garage, various places to live, places to shop/trade, a bar, and a place to eat. It also has a tall crane in the middle of it, hence its name. The USCPF have artillery aimed at this location, though the USCPF and CDF in Western America are on good terms. Most citizens in Crane Town fear that higher quality shipments are being kept for the high-ranks and governor.
- Pearl Wasteland
- An area within Pearl City, it was completely flattened by 2 nuclear warheads, leaving it defenseless against the flooding that Honolulu is subjected to. The flooding brings eroded sand into the area and piles it up, most piles being up to twenty feet in height. Every once in a while, though, the sand opens up to reveal the ruins beneath the wasteland.
- Fort Outlook
- A fort built and maintained by the USCPF. Most local merchants believe the fort is stockpiling supplies for its own residents and soldiers for a possibility of war in the West. The fort is well fortified, well supplied, and receives weekly shipments from a small group of UR-22s from the US mainland. It has howitzers pointed at both the Masterson Area and Waipahu Area. The fort has a small medical shack on the right side of it. It also has 2 jeeps inside the wall and a landing pad for VTOL aircraft to land on outside the base.
- Breeze Town
- A town located close to Fort Outlook, Breeze Town is another scrap town owned and operated by the CDF. Not many people live here, mostly because there aren't many buildings to house people. It has a small tower and a barricade to guard the entrance, as well as a tower near the back to look over the distance. It has a bar, a small sleeping quarters, a medical bay, a kitchen, an area for trading/shopping, a hotel, a generic store, a jailhouse, and a supply shack.
- Pearl Dunes
- An area next to the city and water, it covers a big area. It contains Breeze Town, Fort Outlook, a downed radio tower, multiple destroyed buildings, a "secret" bunker accessed by semi-truck trailer, and various trees.
- Masterson Coal Yard
- An area located next to the shipyard, it has a railroad network running through it for easy access to the shipyard and the coal yard itself. It has large machines that move and mix the coal. There are also garages in various places around the coal yard for storage. There is also a CDF outpost located across the street.
- Masterson Shipyard
- Located in Masterson Valley, the shipyard services ships. It also loads and unloads supplies to and from the ships. There are large cranes above the yard for these tasks. There are also railways that reach the end of the loading docks to deliver and receive supplies. It also has a large floodgate to hold water in and to let boats in and out. There is a railway that once reached the end of the floodgate, but it has been destroyed. There is also a small scrap shack on top of the floodgate, and a bunker owned by the US Army.
- Masterson Bunker
- A bunker owned by the US Army. It has an armory that isn't locked up anymore, and it contains 2 frag grenades, a pre-war assault rifle, 3 pre-war handguns, 4 riot shields, and 2 ballistic vests. It also holds a caved-in room, a caved-in elevator, a planning room (maps included), a mess hall, a sleeping quarters, a messy medical room, and a storage unit. Inside the storage unit is some medical equipment, lots of boxes, and (interestingly enough) 2 green-stained boxes with a radiation/chemical label on them, a SEAL suit, and a SEAL drone.
- Masterson Facility
- A USCPF- now CDF-owned facility, Masterson Facility is a place in the valley that produces clean water by using water filtration machines, fusion energy by using fusion cells and converters, and mechanisms by using 3D printers for any factions in need within the area. None of the supplies are free, but can be purchased for cheap prices. It has a drill that has dug into the ground a bit within the facility. There is a cargo lift on the back of the building that brings supplies to the second and roof levels. There is a small office and living area on the top of the building, as well as 2 communication antennas, a satellite, and an AA gun. There are 2 landing pads at the front of the building, as well as an underground storage area. The area has a cargo lift and contains many resources, including food, water, fusion energy, and various other things.